English speaking support network in ParisJanuary 29, 2022 |
Message was established in 1984 by six English expat women living in Paris wishing to connect with others to support one another, build friendships and share information about raising their children far from home and in a different language. Today, they have nearly 2000 members providing a support network for English-speaking parents living in Paris. Message is a group of mothers and fathers raising children of all ages. Members come from over 60 countries and while they all speak English, they also speak over 20 other languages. The community offers a wide range of activities, playgroups, events and support to its members, enabling members and their families to truly thrive in Paris and Ile-de-France.
Over 50 events are held monthly for parents and children of all ages:
– Playdates and get-togethers for babies, toddlers and little kids
– Coffees, lunches, networking events, Message Talks and nights out on the town (currently virtual).
– Due to Covid-19 restrictions, Message has adapted to members’ needs with virtual events and gatherings.
Members can ‘find their people’ via three types of groups:
– Area groups (by neighbourhood),
– Social groups (by things members have in common, e.g. age of children, working parents, countries of origin, etc)
– Support groups (peer support when we need it most)
They also have a very active chat forum on their members-only website. This is continuously updated with parent recommendations, opinions and personal experience. A great place to get advice on schools, doctors and local resources.
Read MumAbroad’s Family Guide to Moving to France for more information about healthcare in France, the cost of living in France, the French school system, driving in France, opening a bank account and more.