Verena Schmid became a qualified midwife in Florence in 1979. Since then she has assisted home deliveries for more than 25 years, founded an independent midwifery centre called Il Marsupio and founded Donna e Donna il giornale delle ostetriche, a professional magazine for midwives. She founded the Elemental School of Midwifery Art in Florence in 1996, unique in Italy and Europe and she was instrumental in the opening of the Centro Benessere Maternità in 2013. In 2000 she was awarded the prestigious Astrid Limburg award for her engagement to promote midwifery and natural birth in Italy. She has been invited to teach in hospitals and health centres all over Europe and is the author and co-author of several books on childbirth including Birth Pain: Power to Transform! She is currently teaching a masters degree on Salutogenesis at the University of Salzburg.
Active birth is not very common. In 50% of the hospitals’ mothers and babies are separated. Very often the caregivers are not respectful with women. There are some small hospitals with water-birth facilities and rooms for normal birth but many big hospitals have a high level of cesarean sections.
It depends: on the place, on the midwife you meet at the moment of birth and on the birth philosophy in the place.
To take information, make choices and to look for a midwife who offers continuity of care and goes with her to the hospital.
Less than 1%. Women have to pay for a home birth. Some of the regions give some money back, but not all.
They want a good quality of birth, or they are afraid about hospitals.
They need to contact a midwife in early pregnancy and have prenatal care with her. She will also prepare the couple for birth.
If there are medical reasons or fear.
Start by looking at this website: www.nascereacasa.it
Not at all. Only the independent midwives offer it.
With these techniques, you can cure many complications in pregnancy and birth, prevent these complications and ease birth.
We focus not on risks but on resources and how to improve them. We apply positive communication to see the best, not the worst. We lead women back to their body and self-knowledge, we use physiological interventions in case of need without any side effect, we improve normal birth also with physiological hypoalgesia.
CBM is a centre for the health and wellbeing of mothers, children, families and women of all ages. It offers space for meeting, sharing, education and growth. We give guidance on the path of parenthood, using the imprint of Salutogenesis. We offer concrete options for making choices that respond as much as possible to the needs of the person. The centre is managed by a team of trained midwives, specialised in natural, physiological birth and Salutogenesis. They have support from a team of medical specialists, multidisciplinary professionals and holistic practitioners.
* A professional midwife to accompany you, all the way through motherhood, from conception to the first year of life. Classes in English.
* Welcome, support, a listening ear, respect, and freedom of choice.
* Personalised care, where you are at the centre, and the focus is on health and resources.
* Prenatal courses for women and couples.
* New options and advanced services for pregnancy, childbirth and post-natal care.
* A birth centre fully equipped for a delivery that ensures privacy and safety.
* Support for any type of delivery you choose.
* Concrete tools for you to make your own choices in a conscious and achievable way.
* High standards of quality care based on Salutogenesis and the latest scientific evidence.
* A space where we provide listening and free information in order to orient and help you make your own decisions.
* A midwifery practice for postnatal care (first year of life); examination of the newborn; and counselling in breastfeeding.
* Postnatal courses for women and couples
* Wellbeing of woman and child throughout the entire path of motherhood
* Aquatic courses for babies
* Cultural events and workshops
You can find more help on moving to and living in Italy in our Italian section.